Thursday 21 January 2010

Lenses

For my Canon 500d DSLR I currently have 2 lenses

Canon 75 - 300mm lens


This lens is a Canon EF fitting and is the biggest telephoto lens I have allowing quite a large range of zoom. The lens has both manual and auto focus settings although I tend to leave this on auto. This is the lens I primarily use for close up work and a lot of my full face shots I take. The advantage of this lens allows me to get good close up photos even when I am not too near to the subject. I will be using this lens a lot during the course and speaking to Steve Davies about possibly seeing if the college have any lens with an even bigger telephoto range.
The issues I have with this lens is that as it has not got "IMAGE STABILIZER" that my smaller lens has which means at full zoom is very hard to keep it steady enough whilst taking pictures. Another issue is that if the subject moves when you are at full zoom it is hard to pick the subject back up again and you have to zoom out and re focus. This has led to a lot of missed opportunities in taking pictures especially birds.
I will be speaking to Steve to see ways of helping me over come these problems.

Canon 18 - 55mm Lens "IMAGE STABILZER"


This is the lens that came with the camera and has a Canon EFS fitting it has a zoom range from 18 - 55mm and is probably the lens I use most often as is great for general photography. As this lens goes down to 18mm is great for taking "wide" and landscape shots. It is also great for taking natural history shots if the object is relatively close although will be good for taking bigger shots of animals with a great landscape as a backdrop.




1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Again well written in your own words this ticks off 1.1, 1.3 and you only have to mention my name in the blog and it will evidence discussing ideas and feedback to meet criteria, 2.1

    steve

    ReplyDelete